Aug 1, 2010

Ideas for Packing Lunches

Lots of people are gearing up to go back to work or school.  I thought I would share a couple links I have found interesting.  My daughter will be starting school for the first time this fall, and I am completely committed to packing her lunch. 

Kitchen Stewardship has a great post on packing lunches.  I think one idea I have appreciated is that not every meal has to be a full-course affair.  Kids can get just as much nutrition from a variety of "snacky" foods.  By rotating between left-overs and a mix of snack foods (fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, whole grains), I think the prep time can be minimized, especially on those busier mornings.

I really need to get in the habit of baking more nutrient-rich muffins and other baked goods.  Those would be fantastic additions.

I have previously shared the Weston Price article Packing the Perfect Lunch Box.  More great suggestions there. 

One of my other favorite links is Lunch in a Box.  I love the idea of the Japanese Bento--those cute little compartmentalized lunch boxes.  This blog is from a mom who packs a Bento for her husband and kids.  She shares how she preps the boxes in the morning.  While she appears to have quit posting, I still find it inspirational to read through the posts for new ideas.

I would love to avoid plastic altogether in our lunches, but don't feel that glass would be the wisest choice to send with my daughter.  I decided instead to get some great BPA-free plastic containers that are made to fit her lunchbox.  If I need to wrap anything, I will just use wax paper.  I got some extra stainless steel water bottles and two stainless steel insulated containers.  I am still hoping to make her some cute napkins, but if not, I will just throw in one of our cloth napkins. I also plan to just pack our regular silverware.  This will be an exercise in responsibility for her, also--to make sure everything comes back home.

I have no idea what to expect on this journey, but I think the challenge will be fun.  Hopefully she will be looking forward to her great lunches that are packed with love.

No comments:

 
z