May 31, 2010

Two Great Recipes for Summer/Picnic Time

Do you like that Asian coleslaw with the ramen noodles in it?  I do, but wanted something with a nutritional power-punch to it.  I found a recipe that gave me a similar flavor.  It uses olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sesame seeds, etc.  My secret ingredient was to add chopped almonds.  It gave an extra crunch.  Also, the recipe does not mention salt.  Personally, I found it to be an essential ingredient.  It seemed to marry all the flavors.  Here is the recipe for Asian Cole Slaw.


Another recipe I used this past week was for a tahini-free Hummus.  Why tahini-free?  Well, I didn't have any on hand.  Also, it makes it more inexpensive.  I thought it turned out pretty tasty and my guests couldn't tell any difference.  I do recommend using sesame oil to retain a sesame flavor.

Simple Hummus (tahini-free)

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tablespoon olive oil or sesame oil
1/2 - 1 tbsp lemon juice

In blender or food processor combine beans, garlic, cumin, salt, oil and lemon juice.  Blend on low, gradually adding reserved bean liquid until you achieve the desired consistency.

No comments:

 
z