Mar 28, 2009

"Do you have to buy Stuff you don't need?"

I hear this question frequently when people find out I am couponing--particularly at Walgreens. (BTW, CVS may be just as good, if not better, but I wanted to stick to one at this time. And we don't have a CVS in my small town.)

The answer to that question, in my opinion, is YES! In order to really take advantage of all sales, particularly moneymakers--which are what really lower your out of pocket expenses, then, yes, you do often have to buy things you might not need. Particularly if you are particular about what you use/eat.

But, I do not see this as a problem. I see it as a way to bless others.

Here is my suggestion:
Get a box. Put it in an out of the way place. Every time you have the opportunity to get something you don't need and you get it anyway, put it in your box! When you are ready, you can take that box and give it to others in need. Homeless shelter, safehouse for battered women, crisis pregnancy center, nursing home, even your elderly neighbor on a fixed income. People in need are everywhere.

My husband works with guys who are previously homeless and are now in a training program. Because of my couponing, he was able to take all 6 of them new toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant and soap yesterday. I felt incredible about it. I have also gotten each of them multivitamins--something that would be a luxury on their fixed grocery budgets. And, I get a bit of a high getting anything free, so, we all win.

If you don't know where to take your box, just email me. I can get it into the hands of people who are in need. So often, I feel like couponing can lead to hoarding and a survival mentality. By sharing with others, it keeps me grounded. I also like to give coupons away in the store, when I see someone shopping for something I have a coupon for and won't be buying. This is a great way to make friends with cashiers, too. =)

Another idea I have heard, is using your stockpile to barter with. I could offer my 6 tubes of Aquafresh to someone for fresh eggs or an item off Craigslist. Why not?!

Let me know how you are blessing others with your finds.

2 comments:

chris said...

I have four cousins heading off to college this summer and they're all getting shower caddies stocked with my recent Walgreens Freebies. They'll each get Garnier shampoo, conditioner and styling products, skintimates shaving gel, toothpaste, mouthwash, reach dental floss, toothbrushes, bodywash, etc. I may add some washclothes or a bathtowel as well.

I did something similiar for two cousins previously (big family--I have 45 cousins, so there's always someone leaving for college!) and it was a big hit--they said I supplied them for their entire freshman year--they just grabbed more whenever they came home and never had to shop for toiletries!

Stephanie said...

That's a great idea Chris!

 
z